Fun Size Review: Camille (1921)

Many people come to this version of Camille to see a young Rudolph Valentino but leading lady Nazimova is the reason to stick around. She absolutely owns the role of the doomed courtesan and her dramatic ability is accented by a charming sense of humor.

1920s design nerds (aren’t we all?) will especially want to pay attention to the sets and costumes from Natacha Rambova. All in all, a ravishing production that is considerably more nimble than overbuttered stills would suggest.

(But be careful about praising Nazimova. There are some Valentino fans who will legit bite your head off for such blasphemy. Not kidding. Be safe out there.)

How does it end? Hover or tap below for a spoiler.

Nazimova chases away Valentino to protect his future prospects and dies alone. Hey, I never said it was a bed of roses.

If it were a dessert it would be: Watercolor Rose Sugar Cookies. Crazy beautiful, a decadent update of a classic.

Read my full-length review here and DO read the comments, they’re an absolute scream. I won’t give too much away but let me just say that some Valentino fans get, um, excitable when the topic of Nazimova comes up.

Availability: Released on DVD as an extra on the Garbo version of Camille.

***

Like what you’re reading? Please consider sponsoring me on Patreon. All patrons will get early previews of upcoming features, exclusive polls and other goodies.

6 Replies to “Fun Size Review: Camille (1921)”

  1. This was actually the first silent movie I ever watched, it holds a special place in my heart! It made me absolutely love Valentino. I also really enjoyed Nazimova, I thought she was charming and she did the sad scenes so well because it wasn’t so over the top it was ridiculous or cheesy, it was well played and just the right amount of emotion. I think some fans just don’t understand that it is okay to like more than one actor/actress, I’m sorry you got some crazy replies on your other article. I’m a Rudy fan, but I love this article!

    1. So glad you enjoyed! As I always say, it’s maybe 5% of the fans who give the other 95% a bad name. The first silent film is always special, isn’t it?

Comments are closed.